Aie Aie Aieeeeeeeee Aie !!!!!! Yes, someone screaming but only this times it was not my kids, It's ME.. screaming SO LOUD that all the neighbors can here. Why? Well, because i was so stupid to hold cast-iron skillet that just come right OUT from the oven with my bare hand, yes, you read that right .. my BARE hand!!! So, now you agree that i have a good reason to scream? It was so painful that .. that .. i don't know how to explain .. but i keep making a "suffer noise" for the whole long 3 hours with an ice pack from the freezer (changing every 15 minutes) in my hand for the whole time.. How can that happen? Simply because i was worry too much about taking a nice picture at the right time.. i finished by having a huge burn on my left hand for the whole week .. Well, .. anyway. The show must go one. As i already burn my hand for this, i better make this worth doing. So, i took lots of pictures with my right hand .. yes, my one and only hand (yes, the other one was TOO PAINFUL from burning). I wish this picture could win some award to pay back a bit my pain :P (kidding :D)
Above all that, this is a very nice, easy and very DELICIOUS recipe cornbread that anyone who like or never try should give this recipe a try. It is very good one. Sorry, you won't see the sentence like "it's worth doing" or something like that in this post :} even it is so delicious :P It just that it doesn't worth hurting/burning yourself for this. So, please. please. please (hey! someone with experience of hand burning is speaking :P) ALWAYS KEEP OVEN MITT ON AT ALL TIME. I agree that it is something everyone know but somehow it still can happen which i wish it will NEVER happen to anyone ..
So, to make this nice (dangerous though) delicious recipe, you will need: 6-8 serving
Source: Fine cooking magazine
- 1 and 3/4 cups medium-grind stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into a few pieces
- 1 cup chopped ham (optional)
- Get OVEN MITT ready! Make sure you have your OVEN MITT with you at all time. WEAR it at all time is even better!
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and put 9 - 10 inch cast-iron skillet or 9 inch heavy-duty square or round metal baking pan - not nonstick - on the rack. Heat the oven to 425F.
- In a small saucepan, bring -- 1/2 cup water -- to a boil over high heat.
- Combine -- 1/2 cup cornmeal + boiling water -- stir to blend. The mixture should become a thick mush.
- In a medium bowl, whisk -- the remaining 1 and 1/4 cups cornmeal + flour + sugar + baking powder + salt + baking soda -- to blend.
- Add -- buttermilk + sour cream + eggs -- to cornmeal mush and whisk to blend.
- When the oven and pan are fully heated (after about 20 minutes), add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until just blended. Do NOT over mix.
- With OVER MITT on, CAREFULLY, remove the hot pan from the oven and add -- butter pieces -- tilting the pan to swirl the butter around until it's melted and the pan is well coated. the butter may brown, that's fine.
- Immediately pour -- the melted butter + chopped ham if using -- over the mixed batter and stir to combine. A half-dozen strokes with a wooden spoon should be plenty. Scrape into the hot pan.
- Bake until the cornbread pull away from the sides of the pan and is golden on top. 18-20 minutes. Immediately turn the bread out onto a rack cool for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Now, you can safely take off your oven mitt :P
Now, let's go make some & ENJOY ^_^