I am not usually bake or make anything with sauce, filling or frosting as my family (especially my kids) love sweets so much that we are afraid to get too fat too quickly by all sweets i bake each day. So, we (actually "I") try not to over-dose :D overwhelm all those sweets we eat by the filling, sauce or frosting. But since i baked "Overnight Banana Sticky Buns" not long ago. I can't stop looking and imagining baking new recipe with sauce, filling, frosting or whatsoever that make my sweets look gooey again .. :} Yes, this is one of them .. and i don't think it will be the last one :P Well, hope we can do more exercise as i cannot stop baking.. I-L-O-V-E-B-A-K-I-N-G!
Recipe source: Thank you Epicurious for this delicious cake.
For the cake, you will need:
- 1 cup cake flour, not self-raising, sift before measuring
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, well shaken
- Preheat oven to 350 F with rack in the middle. Butter a 8 inch rectangle cake pan. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Tap off the excess.
- Sift together -- flour + baking powder + baking soda + salt --
- In an electric mixing bowl with paddle attachment, beat together -- butter + sugar -- until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in -- egg + vanilla extract --
- With mixer on low speed, add -- flour mixture + buttermilk -- alternate in 3 batches. Beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix until JUST combined.
- Transfer the batter into prepared cake pan, smoothing the top. Tap pan on counter several times to eliminate air bubbles.
- Bake until golden and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes then transfer to a rack and let cool completely before add the filling.
For the filling, you will need:
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
How to: filling and assembly
In a large bowl, whisk together -- mascarpone + whipping cream + sugar -- until the mixture form stiff peaks. Cut the cake in half (horizontally). Spread the filling on the bottom part, sprinkle with blueberries. Gently place the top part over the filling, sift icing sugar on top of the cake. You made it!
Now, Let's go make some & ENJOY ^_^