Originally from Women's day Kitchen
I love bread but somehow, i don't feel very comfortable making bread. I find to hard to work with a yeast. The word "warm" or thing like "temperature" worry me a bit. But after a few times of try-and-error, i feel more confidence and finish by loving it. The dough is so soft when touch and each times i see the dough double in size, i always feel like it's some kind of magic ^^ If you have time, please give this a try. Fresh bake come right out from your own oven, what can be better?! ^_^
You will need:
3 to 3 and 1/2 cups all-purpose Flour
2 and 1/4 teaspoon active dry Yeast
3/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (optional)
1 and 1/4 cups whole milk
1 large Egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup unsalted Butter, softened
2 cups Blueberries
- Pulse -- sugar + lemon zest -- in food processor until zest is finely ground and incorporated into the sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk together -- 1/3 cup lemon sugar + 3 cups flour + yeast + salt -- until blended.
- Heat -- milk -- in microwave until the temperature reach 130 F.
- In a electric mixing bowl, with hook attached, add warm milk to -- flour mixture -- with -- egg + butter -- Mix together until a soft, sticky dough forms. Knead with some of the remaining 1/2 cup flour to foam a smooth and pliable dough, about 2 minutes. Cover the dough and let rise 10 minutes.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchmet paper. Divide dough in half. Working with 1 piece of dough at a ime, stretch and pat out on parchment into 12 inch free form rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Scatter with -- half the blueberries + half of the remaining lemon sugar --
- On floured surface, pat out and stratch remaining dough slighly larger than the first piece and place over bottom dough. Press edges together and tuck under the loaf.
- Cover with a sheet of greased plastic wrap. Place baking sheet in a warm area. Let rise 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 F. With floured fingers, dimple surface of loaf (pierce any bubbling with a knife tip to release air pockets). Scatter top of loaf with -- remaining blueberries and the rest of lemon sugar --
- Bake until golden brown, about 30-35 minutes.
- Slide Focaccia onto a wire rack and cool slightly. Serve warm
|Mix together -- lemon sugar + flour + yeast + salt --|
CAUTION: AVOID any contact between salt & yeast
|Beat in -- milk + egg + butter -- Let rise 10 minutes|
|Stretch into 12 inch free form rectangle, 1/4 inch thick|
Scatter with half blueberries & half remaining lemon sugar
|Stretch remaining dough, slightly larger than previous one|
place on top, press edge and tuck under the loaf
|Covered. Let rise 1 hour|
|Dimple surface with floured finger|
add remaining blue & the rest of lemon sugar
|Bake until golden brown, about 30-35 minutes|
|Slice onto a wire rack, cool slightly|
|peek inside ^^ warm, soft, tasty = Happy!|
Now, Let's go make some & ENJOY ^_^