Originally from Honey and Jam
Doughnuts ..Doughnuts, who doesn't like doughnuts? Me, I like Doughnuts ^^ especially glaze on top ... so hard to resist! But each time i eat, i feel guilty. Why? Because it's deep-fried. Each bite i take, I feel as if my tummy is growing bigger and bigger :P Not good for my waistline! neither my cholesterol level :P So, i just try "Baked" doughnut. Really, It was not bad. The texture is soft and the taste is great. That give me an excuse to enjoy more the glaze ;)
Don't waste a pieces of it. Even the Doughnut holes taste great. Kids love them as it cute and tiny ^^ fit in their tiny hand.
You will need:
1/4 cup Sugar
1 cup whole Milk, heated to 115 F
1 tablespoon active dry Yeast
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
3 and 1/2 cups all-purpose Flour, divided
1/2 cup Butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
For the topping:
1/2 cup Butter, melted
1 cup Sugar + 2 tablespoon Cinnamon (more or less as you like), mix together
- In a electric mixing bowl, with paddle attachment, on medium speed,beat together -- egg + sugar -- until blended, about 1 minute.
- Add -- milk + yeast + salt + vanilla -- stir to blend.
- With the machine on low speed, add -- 3 cups of flour -- about 1/2 cup at a time. Beat until the dough is thick and pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Switch to the hook attachment, with the machine on medium speed, add -- butter -- 1 piece at a time. Beat until no large chucks of butter are left in the bottom of the bowl, about 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low, add -- the additional flour -- until the dough gathers around the hook and cleans the sides of the bowl. It will be soft and moist but not overly sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently until the dough no longer sticks to your hands.
- Lightly grease a large mixing bowl. Transfer the dough to the bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a damp tea towel. Let rise in a warm place until double in size, about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Punch down the dough and roll out to 1/2 inch thick. With a doughnut or a cookie cutter, cut out 3 inch rounds with 1 inch holes. Place the doughnuts at least 1 inch apart in baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 20 minutes.
- Bake until the doughnuts are light brown, about 10 minutes. Do NOT overbake them.
- immediately out of the oven, dip into -- melted butter -- then directly into -- cinnamon sugar mixture --
- Best serve fresh and warm ^^
|Beat together -- egg + sugar --|
|Cut butter into 1 inch cubes|
|Add -- milk + yeast + salt + vanilla --|
Then flour 1/2 cup at a time. Then butter 1 piece at a time
|Let rise 1 hour|
|Cut into 3 inch round and 1 inch hole|
Let rise 20 minutes
|400 F, Bake until light brown, about 10 minutes|
|Immediately out of the oven|
dip into butter then cinnamon sugar
|P.S. This is how the shape of the doughnut|
making with the rest of cutting dough look like
.. doesn't look very nice and texture is more compact ..
Now, Let's go make some & ENJOY ^_^