Originally from Cooking Light magazine
"Quick baking" issue
This is a very delicious bar. Healthy. Not too sweet. We love it!
What you need:
1 and 3/4 cups finely chopped pitted Dates
3/4 cup Water
1/3 cup Maple syrup
1 teaspoon grated Lemon rind (optional)
2/3 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose Flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled Oats
1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine -- dates + 3/4 cup water + maple syrup -- and bring to a boil, cook 12 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently.
- When mixture look like jam. Stir in -- lemon rind (if using) -- turn off the heat. Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- With a mixer at medium speed, beat together -- butter + sugar -- until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together -- flour + oats + baking soda + salt --
- Stir flour mixture into sugar/butter mixture. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Press 2 cups flour mixture into the bottom of a baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Spread date mixture over flour mixture and sprinkle with remaining flour mixture.
- Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
|Mix together dry ingredients|
|Beat until combined|
|flour mixture on bottom, dates then sprinkle the rest flour|
|Bake 20 minutes at 400 F|
Now, let's go make some & ENJOY ^_^